Who or what is The Big House?
Get to know us a little better …
The Big House is…
Made of People
The Big House is a group of people, of different ages, experiences and backgrounds, who share three core things:
- A longing for all young people on the island of Ireland to know they are loved, valued and cared for, no matter what they are going through.
- A vision of a better future that we believe God has invited us to work with him to bring about, a vision of a Big House.
- A Christain faith that shapes all we are and all we do, it defines our values, motivates, directs and empowers us.
To get to know us, read our mission, vision and values, they aren’t bland corporate statements, they are our genes, making us who we are.
The Big House exists to help young people know
God’s love as they encounter Jesus and are cared
for by the church, especially when life is difficult.
A PLACE that any young person can come to, no matter what is going on in their lives. Somewhere surrounded by the beauty and power of God displayed in creation.
The PEOPLE here belong to God, they know and share his love; welcoming, accepting, listening to, and caring for everyone who comes to stay.
God’s PRESENCE can be felt here, there is fun and laughter, tears and healing, freedom and singing, peace and hope. Many young people have life-changing encounters with Jesus.
PRAYER is the foundation The Big House stands upon. It fills the place, shapes and empowers the people, invites God’s presence and releases his power to change lives.
This is the picture God has put in our hearts of what we believe he wants to provide for young people in Ireland.
A vision for our place and yours.
Our values are the beliefs which shape all that we do, including our priorities, attitudes and behaviour.
The values of The Big House are rooted in our Christian faith.
Excellence & Accountability
Dependent on God
The Big House is…
This group of people takes the form of a charity, a non-profit organisation, registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland (ref. NIC100047). We are governed by a Board of Directors, have a small staff team and depend on volunteers and supporters to deliver what we do.
Our Staff Team
Along with our volunteers, the work of The Big House is developed, delivered and supported by a small team of part-time staff:
- Mark Kernohan – Project Director
- Katherine Dickson – Programme Worker
- Sarah Farling – Programme Worker
- Colin Cochrane – Support & Communications Officer
- Ashleigh Cairns – Office Administrator
- Nadia Jewhurst – Prayer Co-ordinator
Our Board of Directors
Our Board ensures that we do the right things, pursuing our mission, vision, and values; and do things right, acting within our values, responsibilities and the law. Our Board of Directors (or Trustees) are:
- Mrs Lisa Best
- Mrs Nicola Clarke
- David Dunlop
- David Ferguson
- Mrs Kathryn Harte
- Prof Dame Judith Hill
- Dr Angela Minion